Table of Contents
What happens if a dog eats a plum? Plum pits, foliage, and stems contain a compound called amygdalin. When the body processes this compound, it converts it into hydrogen cyanide, a deadly poison. Consuming amygdalin in high enough quantities can cause cyanide poisoning in dogs, sometimes known as plum poisoning.
How much plum is toxic to dogs? The flesh of the plum itself is generally not harmful. “Unless it is overripe, fermented, or moldy, a small amount of plum flesh without ingesting the pit is probably fine,” she explains.
How many plums can a dog eat? Plums, like all treats and snacks, should be enjoyed in moderation. Your pup can enjoy a few slices of plum up to a couple of times a week, but no more than this. Even though we know fruit is healthy and packed full of nutrition, our dogs don’t need to eat the same amount as we do to stay healthy.
Can dogs eat plums and peaches? Unlike watermelon or strawberries, stone fruits including cherries, plums, apricots, and peaches can be bad for dogs if they still have the pit, stems, and leaves. If your dog accidentally ingests these parts of the fruit, keep an eye on him for any changes in behavior.